(“He who wins souls is wise.” Proverbs 11:30 NKJV)
Last week we discussed what the ‘real job’ of a Christian is, and that is to win souls for Jesus. I referenced the fact that I was planning this week to get into some ‘nitty gritty’ details of soul winning. To try to do that I entitled my post today, “Having A 'BLAST'”.
“Having A 'BLAST'” is based on a sermon that Greg Laurie preached earlier this month. He used the acronym B-L-A-S-T in his “The Refreshing Power of Sharing Your Faith” sermon. The acronym stands for strategies to share your faith.
It’s the following:
- Build A Bridge
- Lovingly Enter Their World
- Ask Questions
- Share Your Testimony
- Tell Them How To Come To Jesus
I also developed some questions several years ago to ask unsaved people. Last week I incorporated them into the back of the ‘BLAST’ tract. (Note: Below is the back of the tract.
I strategically put the questions in order so hopefully we can remember them, and use them when encountering lost people. I also think the questions fulfill Greg Laurie’s ‘BLAST’ acronym.
The questions follow a pattern I developed for myself, but they can be changed up to make if more effective to fit your own style.
They’re the following:
1. “What do you put your hope or trust in?” (Here You're trying to build a bridge.)
2. “Have you tried any religions?” (Here you're trying to find out their experience of spiritual searching.)
3. “Have you ever explored Christianity?” (Here you're trying to find out what they think of Christianity, and whether it's been on their radar as a possible option.)
4. “Tell me about your experiences with Christianity and Christian people?” (Here you're trying to find out what are their deep-seated feelings about Christianity ... and Christians.)
5. “Do you believe in heaven or hell?” (Here you're trying to find out the heart of the matter whether the person has thought of what happens to them when they die.)
6. “If you had a choice when you die where would you choose? (Now you're trying to find out, lovingly, what their perception is of heaven and hell, and whether they've thought about them before.)
7. “Would you allow me to read a verse or two from John in the Bible?” (Here you're trying to identify what the Bible says about following Jesus.)
- Verse 1. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 NKJV
- Verse 2. “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6 NKJV
9. Briefly share your own testimony. (Again you're trying to build a bridge to tell them what impact the decision to follow Jesus has made in your own life.)
10. Ask the person whether he or she would want to make a decision today to follow Christ. (After these BLAST questions hopefully you'll have a sense of whether or not to move forward, and whether the person is ready to commit their lives to Jesus.)
11. If person agrees use Roman Road tract. If person declines be gracious, offer to pray for them in the coming weeks, and offer the Roman Road tract.
Remember, while asking the questions listen intently with care and concern. Remember the well-known Teddy Roosevelt quote, “People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.”
I pray this post and tract helps you. It’s not a tract to give to unsaved people, but to be used by the soulwinner as a reference guide.
Please let me know if you want me to send you a copy. I can email it to you or snail-mail it.
Next week I want to discuss the Roman Road tract I developed a couple years ago that I’ve used frequently to discuss with, and give directly to, unsaved people.
I pray you end up, like me . . . “Having A BLAST” sharing your faith with other people.
See you next time,